Friday, May 26, 2017

Georgia Brunswick Stew





Some will say this is the most perfect food on the face of the earth, if you ask me.

This may be  the original recipe, or what I BELIEVE to be the original recipe.  I’m listing it for you here; if you think it’s wrong, don’t call me; just change it to suit yourself.

But I can guarantee that if you follow this recipe to the letter you will have the best one-dish meal that you will ever, ever eat.

GEORGIA  BRUNSWICK STEW
Yields 1 gallon   (I think it makes more but that’s what the recipe says)

FOR THE SAUCE:
In a 2 1/2 quart sauce pan, over low heat, melt:
1/4 cup of butter

ADD AND BLEND UNTIL SMOOTH:
3 1/2 cups Catsup
1/4 cups French’s Yellow Mustard
1/2 cup white vinegar

THEN ADD AND BLEND UNTIL SMOOTHER:
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 oz. Liquid Smoke
2 oz. Worcestershire sauce
2 oz. Crystal hot sauce or 1 oz. Tabasco
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

TO THIS MIXTURE ADD:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
Stir constantly, increase heat to simmer (DO NOT BOIL) for approximately 10 minutes. Makes about 7 cups of sauce.  Set aside, or simmer on low if you wanna really make it good.  It really intensifies the flavor if you have oldies playing on the radio, Elvis is preferred.

THEN THE STEW:
In a 2 gallon pot, melt:
1/4 lb of butter  (don’t complain, this is the healthy version)

ADD TO THE POT:
3 cups small diced potatoes
1 cup small diced onion
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
1 lb baked chicken (white and dark) (I cheated and used a rotisserie chicken)
8 to 10 oz. smoked pork  (and here I used part of a honey-baked ham, only ’cause it was in the freezer waiting for me)
Bring to a rolling boil, stirring until potatoes are near done.

WHEN THAT MIXTURE IS PERFECT AND YOU’RE TIRED OF ELVIS,  CHANGE THE STATION AND ADD:
1 (8 1/2 oz.) can early peas
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes (chop tomatoes, add liquid to the stew pot)
The prepared sauce (from above recipe)
1 16 oz. can of baby lima beans
1/4 cup Liquid Smoke
1 (14 to 15 oz.) can creamed corn
Slow simmer for 2 hours.  (I know it says 2 hours, but I found that I burned it if I cooked it this long–judge for yourself, mine took about 45 minutes.  When it’s done, it’s done.  You just can’t tamper with perfection)…

Here is the The link to the recipe   http://www.officialguide.com/gistew.html  Y’all enjoy.  Come on back when you’re full……yes, it freezes well, although I don’t know why you’d want to.  Bye for now.  Always remember Whose you are.

Trader

No comments:

Post a Comment